Create your usage budget
- Go to the AWS Management Console and open the Billing and Cost Management console at Amazon Web Services home page.
- In the navigation pane, choose Budgets.
- At the top of the page, choose Create budget.
- For Select budget type, choose Usage budget.
- Choose Set up your budget.
- For Name, enter the name of your budget.
- For Period, choose how often you want the budget to reset the actual and forecasted usage. Choose Monthly for every month, Quarterly for every three months, or Annually for every year.
- Under Usage unit(s), choose either Usage Type Group or Usage Type. A usage type group is a collection of usage types that have the same unit of measure, such as resources that measure usage by the hour.
- For Usage Type Group, choose the unit of measurement that you want the budget to use.
- For Usage Type, choose the service that you want to include in the budget and then choose the unit of measurement that you want the budget to use.
- For a fixed Budgeted Amount, enter the total amount of units that you want to use for this budget period. For Monthly and Quarterly Planning budgets, enter the amount you want to spend for each planned period.
- (Optional) For Budget effective dates, choose Recurring Budget for a budget that resets after the budget period or Expiring Budget for a one-time budget that doesn’t reset after the budget period.
All budget times are in UTC.
11. (Optional) Under Budget parameters (optional), for Filtering, choose one or more of the available filters. Your choice of budget type determines the set of filters that is displayed on the console.
Note: You must choose Usage Type, Usage Type Group, or both. You can create a usage budget for only one specific unit of measure at a time such as gigabyte (GB), gigabyte per month (GB-Month), hours (Hrs), or number of requests.
- Choose Configure alerts.
- Under Configure alerts, for Alert 1, choose Actual to create a notification for actual spend and Forecast to create a notification for your forecasted spend.
- For Alert threshold, enter the amount that you want to be notified at. This can be either an absolute value or a percentage. For example, for a budget of 200 dollars, if you want to be notified at 160 dollars (80% of your budget), enter “160” for an absolute budget or “80” for a percentage budget.
- (Optional) For Email contacts, enter the email addresses that you want the notifications to be sent to and choose Add email contact. Separate multiple email addresses with a comma. A notification can have up to 10 email addresses.
To receive a notification, you must specify an email address, You can also specify an Amazon SNS topic.
- (Optional) For SNS topic ARN, enter the ARN for your Amazon SNS topic and then choose Verify. If you want to use an Amazon SNS topic for your notification but don’t have one, see Create a Topic in the Amazon Simple Notification Service Developer Guide.
- Choose Confirm budget.
- Review your budget settings, and choose Create.